Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mba'éichapa (and other highlights of the first week)

It's been an interesting first week in Paraguay! Mostly I´ve been learning a bit more about Paraguayan culture and language and spending time with the Bowen family. Insert pictures of adorable children here:


 Timmy and Lucas


Joe

So it´s been fun to get to know them and their parents, Andy and Lizet.
I´ve also been learning a little Guaraní, which is one of the official languages of Paraguay in addition to Spanish. So far, I can say “Mba’éichapa” (which means “Hello, how are you?” ). When I tried to say the word for “good,” all the students in the class I was teaching giggled. Maybe that´s an indication that I still have some work to do. :-)
And speaking of the class, I got to start it yesterday. I had seven students, ages 7-11. They were really bright and eager to learn. I hope I´ll have a picture of them to post really soon. We practiced saying “hello” and “goodbye,” and learned a few colors, too. Every once in a while, we played an elaborate game of charades/twenty questions when they asked for the English translation of a word I had never learned.
It´s really beautiful up here on the hill. The view is gorgeous, and I´m enjoying all the beautiful plants and flowers-especially the ones that happen to produce raspberries and lemons. :-)



View from the front porch 

Please continue to pray that the adjustment will be smooth, that the neighbors and I will be able to communicate well, and that I will be empowered to show what Jesus looks like in a new way.
Well, that´s all for now. Look for more soon and enjoy your own summers!

Until next time,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment